Monday, March 16, 2015

My Blog Won an Award!

I'm pleased to announce that my little blog has been awarded the Liebster Award!  The WHAT award, you may be asking?  Well, the idea behind this award is to recognize and promote new bloggers.  So, a gigantic thank you to Beth Cavanaugh behind the Beth Being Crafty blog for nominating my blog for this award.  

I've seen this award around the internet and am honored that a fellow seamstress and Oregonian would like my blog enough to nominate me. This award aims to promote smaller blogs, who have less than 200 followers. If just 18 more people would sign-up as my followers, this blog of mine wouldn't be considered small, hint, hint.  So, please sign-up to follow this little blog of mine, if you haven't already done so.  If you're one of those who have signed up...thank you, thank you, thank you for your support!

Now, if you are new to my blog, here are just a few things to get to know me better with a little Q & A... 

1.  Do you have a favorite thing to sew? 
You bet! I love sewing costumes, I always have. Some of my favorite costumes were created this past year for several of my grandchildren:

  
HERE
HERE


HERE































2.  What got you into sewing, and what keeps you going with it?  

Growing-up, my mother always had a room full of fabric, a huge metal tin filled with old buttons and almost any sewing supply needed for creating projects.  My sisters and I were allowed to dig into my mother's stash. She taught us to hand sew doll clothes, embroider pillowcases and create, create, create. One of my earliest memories was "getting" to thread the needles for my Mother and Grandma Mills when they were quilting in the middle of our living room.  "Our eyes were better," we were told and so we got to help by keeping a good supply of threaded needles ready for them. 

I sewed as a young mother but quit when my children complained that they didn't like what I was making.  Ugh, kids, right?!  Fast forward 30+ years when I found out I was going to be a grandmother and I started creating baby quilts.  Once those grandchildren arrived, I began making burp clothes, blessing outfits, toys and every day outfits. The smiles on my grandchildren's faces when I bring them my sewn gifts keeps me sewing.

3.  Who do you sew for the most?  

See those cute kids up there? They are who I sew the most for... my grandchildren of course! I still need to make something (besides burp pads and a car seat cover) for my ninth grandchild who joined our family a few weeks ago. Yes, that photo on the bottom right is me holding that precious new grandson. I love being a grandmother. Making gifts for them helps me feel connected to them.

4.  What project has been your biggest splurge?  

My biggest splurge on a project was when I took this coral dyeing class in Okinawa. The class was reasonably priced, but the airfare to get me there was crazy expensive. But it was so worth the time I got to spend with my youngest daughter and her family.

5.  As a blogger/seamstress what is something that you struggle with? 

I struggle with not having my grandchildren closer to give me their stamp of approval when I'm creating projects.  I also struggle with writing blog posts, especially when I'm out of town visiting my family who live so far away. 


6.  What was the first thing you remember sewing?  

The first things I remember sewing were doll clothes for my Barbies.  I'm still sewing doll clothes.  In fact, my doll clothes creations are some of the most popular items I share on my blog.  Have you read "30 Things to Make for an American Girl Doll"? That'll keep you busy for a while! 


7.  What is your guilty pleasure?  

My 2014 guilty pleasure was to purchase a new sewing machine, a Baby Lock called Elizabeth.  It sews beautifully!

8.  How did your blog get its name?  

My blog got it's name because I sign everything I send to my grandchildren "xoxo Grandma". 

9.  Is sewing a hobby for you, or something more?  

Sewing is absolutely a hobby for me.  I did sell a few doll outfits and a few vintage patterns on my Etsy account last year (at the encouragement of my children).  After blogging for almost two years, my blog actually made some money in 2014 but it's just such a little amount that it really makes me laugh when I consider the time I've invested in this adventure.  

10.  What is the best book you read in the last year?  

I read a lot! In January, I posted this:
 

My favorite book I read preparing for that post was The Seamstress: a Memoir of Survival, by Sara Tuvel Bernstein. Last year, I also read two other excellent books: The Rent Collector and Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project.  I try to keep track of all the books I read on Goodreads. If you like to read too, please send me a "friend" request HERE. I'd love to share with you.

11. Where are you originally from and how did you get where you are now?  

I grew up in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon.  In the summers, my family would spend most of our time in Joseph, Oregon, where my father owned a ranch. After high school, I attended college at Brigham Young University in Utah where I got a degree in interior design.  My junior year of college, I met my husband, a Bay Area native.  After graduation, we moved to the Bay Area.  When I was pregnant with my youngest daughter, we moved to the Salt Lake City, Utah area for my husband's job. We've been here ever since.   

Enough about me, here are my nominations for the Liebster Award:


Zuzana is the creative woman behind Like a Feather.  She makes fun, European style things for her daughter and herself.  She lives in Belgium. Don't worry if you can't read French, the blog is translated into English.



The Tea Cup Incident Sharon Rohloff is an artist living in Boulder, Colorado.  She keeps a visual journal of her softie making, crafts, recipes and photo excursions.  She's a fantastic fabric artist.  I recently discovered her blog from Sew Mama Sew when she entered a softie in their contest.



An amazing seamstress, photographer and crafty person is Kimberly aka Kimmie Sew Crazy from Mankato, Minnesota.  Not only does Kimberly create amazing projects that she blogs about but she also sells unique items on Etsy.



Cherie Davidson is quite the fabric artist. She's recently gotten into creating unique creatures using needle felting and they are pretty incredible!  You can find her blogging at Darling Girl Creations


Art Bella Creates is a brand new blog and so far, she's sewing up amazing things!

The rules of the game:

1. Thank the person who nominated you and put a link to her/his blog in your post
2. Answer the 11 questions you received from the one who nominated you.
3. Nominate several other bloggers with less than 200 followers (this is not an exact science, just focus on blogs that could benefit from this extra promotion).
4. Create 11 interesting questions for your nominees to answer.  Please answer the same questions I answered.
5. Do not nominate back the blog that nominated you.

Hugs to all of you who read this whole post! And thank you again for your support xoxo Grandma
Post a Comment