Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Felt Food - Circus Animal Cookies


These little frosted animal cookies happen to be two of my grandchildren's favorite cookies. They call them "pink and whites." They can't get these cookies where they live overseas and they often ask me to send some to them. Who can blame them? They really are a bite of deliciousness, and the inspiration behind my next creation.
As an early Christmas gift, I've been making these two grandchildren felt food. My husband commented that I should make them their favorite cookies too...."why not," I thought?  So that is what I created - felt Circus Animal Cookies.



In case you're now in the mood for a few cookies too, here's a pattern I created so you can have a night of fun making some felt cookies! 

Supplies:
  • 1 piece of 8 1/2" x 11" bright pink felt - makes 9 cookies
  • 1 piece of 8 1/2" x 11" white felt - makes 9 cookies
  • pink thread
  • white thread
  • embroidery thread: royal blue, yellow, green, pink, red, white
  • a little bit of batting for each cookie
  • a needle
For the Circus Animal Cookies pattern click here.
  1. Cut out the cookies, using the provided pattern. (You'll need two pieces per cookie.)
  2. Randomly make French knots using 3 skeins of thread, twisting the thread around the needle twice.  Make a lot of French knots with a variety of colors.  It's easiest to do all one color of thread and then another color of thread. 
  3. With a sewing machine, right sides together, sew around the edges of the cookies with as small a seam as possible, leaving a 1" opening at the bottom or side of each cookie.
  4. Clip the corners.
  5. Turn the cookie right side out. (This is not easy to do but they will eventually turn, I used the eraser part of a pencil and carefully pushed using dull tipped scissors. Good luck!)
  6. Slightly stuff the cookies.
  7. Sew closed the opening.
  8. Add your finished cookies into a clear sandwich bag.
Don't they look so delicious? Hopefully my grandchildren will think it's fun to pretend that they're delicious too. If you're now craving cookies and milk, then I'll declare my work here done for the day!   xoxo Grandma

2 comments:

Shelley said...

So cute. Thank you so much for sharing this. Brings back some very special memories of my Gramma. She always had circus animal cookies in the house, for when the grandchildren visited. I'll have to try making some.

Shelley said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. It brings back some very special memories of my Gramma. This was one of my favourite treats growing up. Gramma always had circus animal cookies in the house for when the grandchildren visited. I'll have to try making these.