Sunday, July 20, 2014

Baby Girl Gingham Smocked Dress

Last week, I spent the weekend with my siblings at a family reunion on the Oregon Coast. It was so much fun!  I also got to spend a day with this beauty: my 7 month old granddaughter who is one of the happiest babies I know!


For this dress, I started with more of that yellow & white gingham fabric which I inherited from my mother. It just never seems to run out.  I smocked this dress using white embroidery floss and accenting with purple floss that I stitched into flowers with soft green floss for leaves.  Smocking is tough!  Anyone have any smocking advice?  I've read that if you smock using gingham, it's easier.  My older sister suggested making the dress first and then smocking it afterward.  Here's my thoughts on the matter- maybe it's easier for some people but for me, NO, it was not.  So, this is it, I'm not smocking another thing ever or at least not again until I loose my memory and forget that I made this vow. Despite my smocking woes, this dress still turned out pretty cute... especially on this sweet little girl! 


In one week's time this little trooper flew internationally, crossed the country, made several 3 1/2 hour drives and through it all, she kept smiling.  By this time, I'm guessing this cutie was thinking "Yea, they let me out of my car seat!"


Yes, that's me getting a little loving before this granddaughter had to get back into her car seat and drive over three hours again back to her home. So grateful for family! - xoxo Grandma
Pattern: Simplicity #7239 - cira 1975
Fabric:   yellow & white cotton gingham, white cotton for the collar and the interfacing.

Linked:  The Dedicated HouseNap Time Creations

The Dedicated House

No comments: