Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Joy of Pop-up Books

When my grandchildren visit, we read a lot of books. Their favorite, of course, are my pop-up books - no surprise there! The older grandchildren loved reading about Peter Pan, The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland.  All of these books are illustrated and engineered by Robert Sabuda.  



One fun thing that my grandchildren really liked about "Alice in Wonderland" is looking through the hole that Alice fell into while following the white rabbit.  

They love "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" because of it's hot air balloon and the emerald glasses which are included in this book. 
"Peter Pan" has pirates, pixie dust and London. What child doesn't like those elements in a story?  When I read about the magic pixie dust, you should have heard the questions I got to answer... yup, pixie dust would sure be fun for a far-away grandmother to use.

All these books are a little long to read as bedtime stories (unless you're in no rush to put your kids to bed), but we had fun breaking it up and reading half of each book a few nights in a row.  

I hope you enjoy reading to your little ones - in three days I'll get to read to my grandchildren again!  Do you have a favorite book you like to read to your children or grandchildren? - xoxo Grandma

No comments: