Let's face it, everyone loves little furry animals. And penguins rate right up there with the cutest creatures! I bet you might even know someone who collects penguins, do you? Here's a last minute ornament to make, perfect for tying onto a gift or putting on your tree. When it's finished, this petite penguin ornament stands just 3 1/2" tall.
First up, you'll need to download the free pattern HERE. Print it making sure the "fit to page" is not checked.
- White fleece or felt
- Black fleece or felt
- Gold cord
- Black embroidery thread
- White embroidery thread
- Fiber fill
- On the front of the penguin: Lay top of head onto white body and stitch around the inside of this piece. Sew on French knots for the eyes.
- Sew on the stomach piece but stitching a running stitch all around this piece.
- On the back of the penguin: Stitch lower edge of round head in place. Stitch two feet together with a blanket stitch. Find the center of the penguin and pin the feet in place.
- Tack the feet in place on the wrong side of the fabric.
6. Sew around penguin using a blanket stitch. Use black thread for the top of the head and white thread for the body. At the top of the penguin's head, do the following:
Cut 2" of gold cording and tie a knot toward the bottom of the cord. As you are stitching closed the penguin's head opening, sew the thread in between the stitching.
When you have about 1 1/2" to sew, stuff the body with fiber fill. Continue sewing until the whole body is stitched together. Pin the flippers in place.
7. Sew the flippers in place with black thread.
You adorable petite penguin ornament is finished! Enjoy! Have a great Christmas!