Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Bonny Bunny - a Softie


This 10 inch stuffed bunny was started over a year ago and has accompanied me (unfinished) on several trips to visit my grandchildren.  When I get bored on long flights, I'll read and often entertain myself by sewing.  This bunny came as a sewing kit called My Little Tagalong, named Bonny Bunny and was designed by Lois Thompson.  Little by little I've been embroidering all the details. I was motivated to finish it a couple weeks ago when I read about "Softie Week" at Sew Mama Sew.  Imagine my delight when I finally finished all the needlework!  On Friday night, I sewed the backing onto this bunny and stuffed it.  With the finishing touches, I incorporated the 10 Tips for Stuffing + Finishing Softies found in THIS post.   

I changed a few things from the original kit, like adding lace into the bottom of the shirt and on the cuffs, instead of sewing satin stitching. 



The kit came with a floral print to use to finish the back of the bunny. I decided that print would look goofy and used white fleece instead, which made this a real softie for a child to snuggle. To keep the back side of the bunny interesting, I hand-stitched a little pom-pom tail.



My last alteration was to add two small mother of pearl buttons to the bunny's shoes. 



On a side note, the directions that came with this kit were HORRIBLE!  Good thing I know how to sew. It certainly made traveling more interesting. 

Do you take sewing projects with you on trips? Would love to see them! xoxo Grandma

Linked to Crafty Allie, Nap Time Creations, Threading My Way

No comments: