Thursday, April 16, 2015

A Bike Lovers Sling Bag



After making my first sling bag over the weekend, I realized I had enough materials on hand to make one more. This biking fabric was my inspiration for this sling bag:



If you want to make a sling bag too, go to Sugar Bee Crafts to get a copy of this free pattern.


This time around, I turned my black and white strip fabric diagonally before cutting out the basic fabric. I joined the side panel pattern pieces and made one large panel.  Then I got down to some serious fabric embellishing using hand and machine embroidery, ribbon and tiny silver rick rack for the bike's chain.  I love how using different embellishments transpose these hand drawn images into both a vintage and contemporary looking bike.  



I also added a large black button to the panel with the vintage bike and an enclosure loop to the other panel to keep this bag's contents inside.

To this bag, I added two pockets about the size of a cell phone onto the sides of the embellished panels. I know a lot of kids have cell phones but I'm betting my granddaughter would rather have her pockets filled with her favorite books and maybe even some crayons.



I'm really happy with the way my bike lovers sling bag turned out! Don't be surprised if I make another one of these bags, this pattern is just so much fun! xoxo Grandma

This project has been linked to Project Run and Play April project, Nap-time Creations, Crafty Allie.

You might also like these related projects:

No comments: