Monday, March 20, 2017

My Six Favorite Sewing Tools


I'm often asked what sewing supplies I recommend. Today, I've put together a list of my five favorite sewing tools. They are such a life saver in the world of a sewer! If you're a big sewer, like me, you'll soon discover these little tools are your new favorites too!  

First FavoriteTool: Grabbit Pincushion

First up, is my favorite pin cushion. I used to have a little problem when I sewed, I'd lose pins on my carpet. I know what you're thinking, this is not good especially if someone steps on one. At one point, my husband was losing his patience with me and the number of pins he was finding on the ground. And really, I don't blame him. What I needed was a good pin cushion.

As a gift, one of my daughters, who doesn't sew, read a lot of product reviews to find me the "best" pincushion on the market. Enter the Grabbit. The Grabbit advertisements claim, "No more picking up spilled pins one by one - sweep them up with your Grabbit. No more stopping work to push pins into a cloth cushion - drop them into your Grabbit." 


This is definitely the best pincushion I've ever had! I love my Grabbit. And no, this is not an advertisement. I'm not getting paid by these guys. I just really love it that much. 

To get a true understanding of the beauty of this pincushion, I created a little video demonstration for you below. You've gotta check out this thing. It's pretty amazing if you're a sewer! Also, I might note, this is my first video, so you can laugh a little if you want.



Second Favorite Tool: Dritz Dual Purpose Marking Pen


My next favorite tool is the "Dritz Dual Purpose Marking Pen."  On one side of the pen is purple ink and the other side is blue ink. 

Depending on your project and the color of the fabric you're using the ink on, one of these ink colors will probably work to mark your fabric (unless you're using black or dark brown fabric, then you're outta luck with this one, sorry). 

The coolest thing about this pen is both inks disappear. How cool is that? The purple ink will disappear right off your fabric after a few days, you don't even need to wash it. The blue ink disappears when rubbed or sprayed with water.  

I use this marker for all kinds of projects and love it!  My students love it too.  It's kind of like being a secret agent with disappearing inks. At least we can pretend.

Third Favorite Tool: Vintage Looking Sewing Scissors


Just look at this darling pair of scissors. Not only are they super cute, they're also super sharp. 

A friend gave me this pair right before Christmas and I love them! My sewing students ask if they can use my "pretty scissors" and I know exactly which pair they are asking to use. 

I searched and searched trying to find where this friend got these scissors so I could tell you about them and finally found them with the following very long name, Souarts Antique Silver Color Vintage European Style Classic Precision Straight Sewing Scissors. If you simply search decorative scissors, good luck trying to find them. 

I've discovered that my wonderful, full size Gingher scissors are too heavy for young people to use. But these are perfect. 

Fourth Favorite Tool: Glass Headed Pins

Have you ever wondered if there was a difference in pins? Let me tell you from firsthand experience, there definitely is a difference. A while back I was researching other sewers favorite tools, and I came across glass headed pins. I knew I had to have them.

The heads on the glass headed pins don't melt when your iron hits them. Let me show you some of the melted heads on my old pins. Can you just imagine how these melted heads would snag your fabric? It is a sewer's nightmare!  



When I finally invested in glass headed pins, I quickly fell in love with these non melting pins. I couldn't find any in my local stores so I purchased mine from Amazon.


Fifth Favorite Tool: Temporary Spray Adhesive



My next favorite sewing tool is temporary spray adhesive. This product is perfect for assembling fabric applique or putting together a quilt. I learned about this product from a avid quilter friend. The ease of this product makes any crafter/quilter/sewer's job a million times easier. You can purchase this adhesive here.


Sixth Favorite Tool: Sticky Lint Roller




My last favorite tool is a must for any dedicated sewer. It's a lint roller with sticky tape. I use my lint roller to get rid of all those threads that stick onto your clothes when you sew and land all over the floor of your sewing area. They're kind of a lifesaver when it comes to quick cleanup. You can purchase this from here.


That's it! Those are my favorite sewing tools! I hope they help you in gathering the best tools out there to help you enjoy sewing a little more. Try them out and tell me what you think. 


Do you have a favorite sewing tool I didn't mention? If so, I'd love to hear about it!   xoxo Grandma  

CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW TO PURCHASE MY FAVORITE SEWING TOOLS:


    
SaveSave

No comments: