What do you do when you find the cutest gift in a store for a fabulous price but it's personalized with the wrong name? No need to pass up the good deal. I'll tell you what I do - I buy it and get creative with my name changing skills. Here's a few tips to purchasing "wrong name items."
- Look for the shortest name.
- Look for a name that has the most correct letters and in the same order as the name desired.
- Think of the shape of letters and what they can turn into as an example, an "I" can easily turn into a "D, J, or K."
- Pottery Barn Anywhere Chair Cover - Regular retail: $99. My chair cover was $1.00. My daughter found the chair for $30 on Craigslist, embroidered letter 50 cents...our total cost for this chair = $31.50.
- Star Wars Roller Suitcase - since this is a gift which hasn't been given, I wouldn't share the cost...but I will tell you, it was a great deal! The name on this suitcase was "Ian" but I need it to read "James". I made the "I" into a "J" and then with a running stitch,outlining the "N" into an "M" and added an "E, J" and "S" per the photo below.
Using the same embroidery floss, I filled in the letters.
- Pottery Barn Lunch Bag - on sale $15 -$24.50. My price = $2.50 Remember when I turned this into storage for doll clothes?
Happy bargain hunting & name changing!