I first spotted this adorable needlebook on Pinterest and tweaked it just a little. With my variations, I put together the following tutorial so you can make one or more for your sewing friends too.
- Cut 2 pieces of fabric, one for the front and one for the back into 3 1/2" x 6 1/2"
- Cut one piece of felt 3 1/4" x 6 1/4".
- Sew felt onto the middle of one rectangle.
- To the left side of the fabric, stitch in place an inch piece of narrow elastic, folded in half.
- Sew together the front to the back, leaving a 1 1/2" section at the bottom back not sewn so you can turn your fabric.
- Clip corners (see top image) and turn the fabric right side out (see bottom image.)
- Iron the rectangle from the back side of the embroidery.
- Hand stitch the opening closed.
- Fold the fabric in half and iron.
- Cut a piece or two of felt 3" x 6". (This is your inside "page".)
- Fold felt in half and iron along the seam.
- With a sewing machine, stitch across the felt along the fold (or center) of your fabric.
- Hand sew a button opposite the elastic.
- Add needles, pins and safety pins to the felt pages.
|I hope all your crafty buddies like this just as much as I do! xoxo Grandma|