Thursday, February 19, 2015

Vintage Looking Baby Peasant Shirt - a Refashion & Free Pattern


I originally made this shirt from a table runner for my oldest daughter's baby and was so happy when I realized it got passed down to my youngest daughter for her little girl.  I love that my children share their baby clothes with each other!  Nearly a year and a half ago, after my youngest daughter saw this vintage looking baby shirt, she commented that she wished she had a girl that could wear it. My mother always warned me to be careful what you wish for because it just may come true.  And of course, it happened.  Eight months ago that baby girl of mine gave birth to this darling baby girl of her own.

Earlier this week, I finally got around to recreating this peasant shirt pattern in two different sizes: 6 month and 12 month.  If you want to create this vintage looking baby shirt, go to THIS post and download the free pattern.  Peasant shirts are so easy to sew together but if you've never made one, there is also a tutorial HERE on how to make a peasant shirt.  If you need a different size pattern, I found several free patterns HERE and HERE.

To make the baby shirt pictured in this post, you'll cut the sleeves edge and hem along the edge of the table runner. You also need to adjust the pattern just a little by shortening the sleeve's hem to 6 inches long. I also added two casings to this shirt. The first casing is at the bottom of the sleeves and the next casing was added 1 1/2 inch below the armholes. To add the chest casing, I sewed 1/2" white bias tape to the wrong side of the fabric and then added elastic into that casing using the babies chest measurement.  

This peasant shirt pattern works great with classic linens.  If you don't have anyone who wants you to cut up their table clothes or table runners, go to your local thrift shop or a garage sale and see what treasure you can find to use with this pattern.  There is a lot out there if you know where to look.




For more close-up details of this vintage looking baby shirt, go to THIS post.   I hope you enjoy creating vintage clothing using linens, because I sure do.   xoxo Grandma



No comments: