Thursday, July 30, 2015

A Flock of Birds Skirt


After I designed the bird applique pattern in yesterday's post, I starting thinking how cute it would be to have a whole flock of birds sewn along the bottom of a skirt, creating a border. To accomplish this task, I spent a lot of time cutting, measuring and machine embroidering but the finished outcome is so worthy of sharing.

At first I cut out all the birds and wings from two different fabrics but after laying everything down onto the skirt, it looked boring. So, I cut out more birds bodies and wings from different fabrics, mixing the fabrics up as I positioned the birds in place. 

If you want to create this skirt, get the bird pattern here and have fun cutting. Reserve about 3 1/2 hours to add this design to a skirt.  The bird's eyes was cut from the black and white polka dot fabric and then machine embroidered in place. My bird's beaks are about 1 inch apart and their tail feathers are around 2 3/4 inches apart. These dimensions will vary for you depending on how wide your skirt is.  A tutorial on sewing these birds onto a skirt is found here.

I love the look of this flock of birds skirt!  Don't you think a little girl would have fun wearing a skirt like this?  xoxo Grandma

Linked at: Simple Simon and Company, Threading My Way, Nap Time Creations, USS Crafty

No comments: