Monday, August 3, 2015

Using Scraps to Make a Cross Body Purse for a Good Cause


I love it when I can create something fun from fabric scraps. This cross body purse was the perfect project for scraps. So, gather your scraps and let's have some fun! 


To create this purse, I took the leftover scraps from making this dress and sewed them together into larger pieces.  Using my larger pieces of fabric, I was able to cut out the Cross Body Purse pattern. You can do the same thing with all your scraps. First let me tell you about the cross body purse I made.

A charitable organization called Sew Powerful distributes these purses to young girls in poverty stricken countries.  If you haven't heard about this group, you're not alone. I first heard about this organization a few weeks ago. I received an e-mail from one of the companies that helps sponsor this project offering a free pattern to all those willing to make this bag for their charity group, Sew Powerful. The sponsor provided a link to Sew Powerful's site where I read about their program and why these purses are important to young girls.  
Here's some of the basic information about this service project:

"CAN A PURSE REALLY TRANSFORM A GIRL’S LIFE?

The purses you provide are used in local schools and clinics in Lusaka Zambia as part of Menstration Hygiene Management (MHM) programs. This simple gift – combined with re-usable sanitary pads and health information can make a tremendous difference in the lives of adolescent girls. Read about the amazing results of our 2014 Sew Powerful Purse Project here. Our ministry partners work hard to educate and inform the girls in their community so that they stay in school and grow in confidence and self-esteem. It really is sew powerful!"


If you would like to help a good cause and you enjoy sewing, this project is for you. To make this purse, you'll need to download the free pattern by registering here.  


So, to get started, gather together all your scraps and sort them out according to ones that work together. 
Once you've got your scraps all organized, sew them together like the two scraps above using 1/4" seam allowance to make large pieces. Once your pieces are sewn, iron all the seams open. Then lay the pattern pieces onto your now larger pieces of fabric and cut out your purse. 
Note: reinforce any seams that were cut before you sew up your purse. 

Then sew together this scrappy purse.  From start to finish this project took me about 3 1/2 hours to make. The pattern is marked as an intermediate level.

It makes me happy to use my skills to serve others.  I hope you will join me in making purses for this service project. The concept behind it is such a blessing to others.

I really like the look of all these fabrics patched together.  The finished result adds a lot of interest to this purse.  Aren't these the prettiest fabrics?  They are from a collection called "Up Parasol," which I found on Pattern Jam's site.  Happy purse making! xoxo Grandma

Linked to: Threading My Way; Charity Sewing, Nap Time Creations

More Purse Links:
Bike Sling Bag

Spring Bag
Seahorse Bag






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Trying to download the free cross body pattern. I registered and it did not send the pattern. Something about a v card. Hope you can help.

Xoxo Grandma said...

Hi Unknown, For the pattern, you'll need to contact SewPowerful or go to this link https://www.sewpowerful.org/products/sew-powerful-beginner-purse-pattern

Joy aka xoxo Grandma