Monday, August 28, 2017

Science Lovers Quilt - Periodic Table of Elements


Earlier this year, when my seven year-old grandson requested I make a Periodic Table of Elements quilt for him, I was surprised. I did not know what the Periodic Table of Elements was when I was seven. 

Of course I said yes, not knowing how on earth I was going to create such a thing. I told him it would be his eighth birthday present. That would give me precisely six months to make his requested quilt. 

Now that this quilt is finished, it truly is a perfect gift for my little science lover.

So how did I finally figure out this complex quilt? My first problem to solve was how to get a Table of Elements. I knew I didn't want to spend a million hours sewing all the atomic numbers and all the other details onto fabric. So I searched and contacted several companies that had fabric Table of Elements until I found this washable fabric wall hanging one. It was designed to use in a science classroom. Because it was washable and kids need washable, I knew I had found the key element for this quilt.  

To calm down the bright colors from the Periodic Table of Elements, I bordered the chart with a medium solid grey. This same grey was also used to bind the quilt.

After searching all the quilt shops in my area for a chemistry fabric, I turned to the internet and found the fun beaker pattern from Robert Kaufman called "Science Fair Test Tubes".

I backed the quilt with a black, 90 inch wide minky. In addition to his Periodic Table of Elements request, my grandson requested a warm, soft  fabric for the back of his quilt and minky met both of those requests.


Here's a close-up of the Table of Elements quilted with a random line quilting pattern. This is the first time I've professionally paid to have anything quilted and it was so worth it! I love how the quilting looks symmetrical and professional.


The science beakers are patterns I created. The free patterns for these beakers are located here and here. Theses beakers were cut out of a non fray, white organdy fabric. I cut out the liquid in the beakers from blue and green non-fraying organdy. The liquid was put under the white organdy fabric. The top of the liquid was sewn with thread that coordinated with the liquid fabric color. Then I laid the beaker fabric over the liquid fabric and sewed them together with grey thread. The details on the beakers were added with the same grey thread.


This quilt it going into my carry on luggage in a few weeks, where I"ll  be giving it to my grandson in person. I can hardly wait! 

I had enough of the grey and Science Fair Test Tubes fabric to make him a pillowcase using this technique. Then there was a 14 x 14" square of the Test Tube fabric left so I made this accent pillow:  


I used a black zipper in the bottom of the accent pillow so that a pillow form would be easy to add once it arrives. If you like this design, here is a link to the pattern. With leftover black minky, I added piping around the edge of the pillow. This is the back of the accent pillow:


Do you know of a science lover that would enjoy a quilt like this? If so, please share this post with them. xoxo Grandma

Supplies needed:
2 yards of Science Fair Test Tubes fabric
2 yards of Grey fabric
Scraps of white fabric
Scraps of blue fabric
Scraps of lime green fabric
Thread
Batting

I purchased these supplies from Amazon:

 

No comments: