Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Lace Embellished Dress for a Baby Girl


I have a granddaughter due in a few months too. This project is for her.  I wanted to make this outfit as girly as possible, so I used lace. I absolutely love lace!  When I pinned THIS idea about using a variety of lace to change the look of fabric, I got a little excited thinking about the possibilities for those pieces of lace I've saved.  To test out this idea, I wanted to try a simple pattern, so I chose the Little Geranium dress and diaper cover, which is a free pattern at Made by Rae.  It's designed for a child 0-3 months.  Lucky me, one of my granddaughters who was visiting fits perfectly into a 3 months size. So while she was here, I finished the details on this outfit and tried it on her but she wasn't in the mood to have her photo taken - imagine a 3 month old feeling that way!  

I started with this white swimsuit cover-up that my youngest daughter gave to me to refashion. 

I cut out the pattern pieces making use of the hem on the bottom of the skirt - because I love when I don't have to hem something, don't you?  Then I pinned the lace onto the bodice.

Once I liked how the lace looked, I sewed all the lace directly onto the bodice trying to keep the stitches close to the edges of the lace.  Then I preceded to sew the dress as instructed.
Here's a close-up of the finished bodice:


I used clear buttons so the lace remained the focal point of the dress.

The diaper cover was cut out of the sheared top part of the cover-up.  I love how the sheared fabric made the diaper cover so cute!
Once this next granddaughter is born, I'm guessing this outfit will fit her right around August.  
To see this on my granddaughter, go to THIS post!  xoxo Grandma

Shared at these linky parties: The Dedicated House: Before and After Nap-time CreationsBacon Time, The Life of Jennifer DawnOh My Heartsie Girl, Creating My Way to Success, Diana Rambles

No comments: