Monday, April 18, 2016

Nautical Romper


One of my favorite fabric trends this season just screams summer to me! Have you all caught on to chambray yet?  Well, if you're looking for the perfect fabric for a summer romper, you'll want to try chambray cotton... better yet, try it with a nautical print, like this one I used to create this romper

Chambray is like a denim but it's smoother and light weight, making it perfect for summer. Better yet, the more this fabric is washed, the softer it becomes. How can you go wrong with that?

You may recall seeing me using a different nautical chambray cotton a while back to make a dress for another of my granddaughters, which you can see here.


For this romper, I combined this anchor chambray fabric with wooden laser-cut anchor buttons.  These buttons came from a fabric shop near Boston.  I love how they add accent to the front of this romper.



For the ties I added navy bias tape.  I have this compulsory need to keep toddler's shoulders covered and protected from the sun, so I added cap sleeves edged with more navy bias tape.  

The pattern used was McCall's 4136.  It really was an easy pattern to make.  I adjusted the fullness out of each of the legs by deleting about 3" from each leg to make the outfit look more contemporary.  To find this pattern you can go here.



Since I took these photos at the beach, I fully expected this independent toddler to get wet.  I just didn't realize how wet she'd get.  Which was fine because she had a great time digging and splashing in the warm China Sea.



Have fun sewing on chambray cotton this summer and if you get the opportunity, go to the beach whenever you can and get wet!  xoxo Grandma

Linked to: Project Run and Play, May 

No comments: