Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Warm Winter Dress


Nothing shouts warm and cozy like clothing made from shirting flannel! 


I love how the fabric made sewing this dress easy.  Shirting flannel is so comfortable too.  If you've ever worn shirting flannel you understand it feels like you're wrapped in a soft, flannel blanket.

I had a hard time finding a shirting flannel that my daughter liked.  I ended up choosing these black and white fabrics which complimented one another.  They are a perfect match for a classic, casual winter dress.



The big pockets were cut on the bias out of the large check adding a fun contrast to the small checks.


The trim on the large checked sleeves is the tiny checked fabric.  I love the way the small and large checked fabrics were able to play off of one another adding more interest to this dress.




The pattern I used was a vintage Butterick #3842.  


The pattern shows a raglan three-quarter length sleeve, patch pockets and neckline binding.  It also shows a ruffle at the end of the sleeves but I opted to add self-made bias tape from the small checked fabric instead.  This pattern was fun and easy to sew.  I would recommend this pattern and of course the fabric is just amazingly soft and snuggly! Perfect for a chilly winter day.  xoxo Grandma

Linked as my favorite thing I sewed for a child in 2016 to Project Run and Play.  I love the vintage pattern used and the warm shirting flannel.  I want a dress made out of the same cozy fabric.

No comments: