Friday, December 12, 2014

$1.00 Doll Night Gown - FREE PATTERN & TUTORIAL


I've saved my favorite dollar store purchase transformation for today.  To make this project you'll need a fleece baby blanket from your local dollar store.  I transformed this purchase into a doll night gown. This post features a free pattern which I created to fit an American Girl doll. 

(If you're just joining me, we had fun last week and this week turning cheap finds from dollar items into cute doll clothes (you can find links to my other tutorials at the bottom of this post).

(When you print this pattern, don't forget it needs to be printed at full size. First download the free pattern HERE.) If you download this pattern, would you be kind and leave me a comment below and let me know how you found my blog?  Thank you in advance.


Supplies needed:
  • Thread
  • 30" of contrasting ribbon - 1/8 - 1/4" wide
  • Small safety pin
  • 18" of single fold bias seam tape
  • One dollar store fleece baby blanket

Side note:  The fabric used to make this baby blanket has to be the cheapest fleece I've ever used!  But do not be fooled, it  worked great for making a doll night gown which is the important thing, right?

Cut out the fabric using the pattern pieces as directed on the patterns.  When sewing, use 1/4" seams unless otherwise stated.

Follow the pictorial steps below and in 30 - 40 minutes you should have a doll night gown:



Sew the sleeve seams together.



Slit the buttonhole open.  
From the right side of the project, do the following:




Sew both side seams together using an overlocking stitch.
Sew the sleeves into the armholes with an overlocking stitch.




Turn night gown right side out and thread the ribbon through the casing. 
Sew through all layers of fabric and the ribbon at the back center casing.  
(This will prevent the ribbon from being accidentally pulled out of the night gown while playing.)

As a child, night gowns were my personal favorite sleep wear.  In the chilly mornings, I loved to sit on the heater and have the warm air shoot up my body billowing my night gown out. Awww, the memories!  My sister and I use to laugh at how fat we looked.  (We stopped laughing and joking about our weight years ago!)



Thanks for joining me...don't forget if you download the pattern a comment is required!



  • Little Miss Santa Outfit from Santa hats go HERE 
  • Sweater Dress from thermal socks go HERE 
  • Leggings from knee hights go HERE
  • Elf Outfit from Christmas Stocking go HERE 
  • Doll sleeping bag from a chair cushion & tea towel go HERE 
  • Shorts from shirt sleeves go HERE 
  • Skirt & scarf from a scarf go HERE 
  • Party dress using a sequin headband go HERE 
  • Night Gown from a baby fleece blanket go HERE 
  • Zebra Jacket from a fleece scarf go HERE 


  • xoxo Grandma  
    Post a Comment