The dollar store purchase transformation for today is how to make a doll skirt and scarf from an adult scarf. (If you're just joining me, we are having some fun over the next few weeks turning cheap finds from dollar stores into cute doll clothes (you can find links to my other tutorials at the bottom of this post).
I folded the scarf in half and then measured 18" length from the scarf. Cut off this piece. Save the leftover piece for the doll scarf.
Fold the scarf in half width wise and then gather the fabric along the edge of the length. Next, pin the scarf onto one of those elastic headbands that can be purchased at the dollar store or by the yard. You'll only need a piece as wide as your doll's waist.
Because my sewing machine still isn't working, I hand stitched the fabric to the elastic, stretching a little as I sewed so my stitches wouldn't pop apart when it was tried onto the doll. If your machine is in good working order, then this part should be a breeze!
Stitch the waistband at the top of the waist and the bottom of the waistband.
Fold the skirt in half and pin.
If possible, serge the pinned area together. Your skirt is finished.
How to make a doll scarf:
Now, let me show you how easy it is to turn the leftover fabric into a doll sized scarf:
Step 1: Using sharp scissors, trim off the finished edge from the edge that's 8 1/2".
STEP 2: Take a needle and pull out 1/2 - 3/4" of the threads. This is called fraying the edge. Repeat this step on the other end of the fabric. That's it, you are finished!
This is a fluffy, fun skirt and scarf for your doll, right?
Don't miss these other dollar store purchases into things for your doll posts:
- Little Miss Santa Outfit from 2 Christmas hats go HERE
- Sweater Dress from thermal socks go HERE
- Leggings from knee high socks go HERE
- Elf Outfit from a Christmas stocking go HERE
- Doll sleeping bag from a chair cushion & tea towel go HERE
- Shorts from shirt sleeves go HERE
- Skirt & scarf from a scarf go HERE
- Party dress using a sequin headband go HERE
- Night Gown from a baby fleece blanket go HERE
- Jacket from a fleece scarf go HERE
Linked to: Nap-time Creations